The Director of Marketing & Audience Development is responsible for developing the strategies needed to propel the company towards its long-term fully digital future as a news organization supported primarily by revenue from readers and from a diverse portfolio of digital advertising and other products and services.
In this role, he/she will develop and implement cross-channel marketing programs for the company's successful nine digital and three print publications and will undertake the lifecycle marketing initiatives to expand their reach, increase reader and advertiser engagement and grow revenue through paid membership subscriptions.
Based in our Palo Alto office, he/she is a member of the company's senior management team and reports to the CEO.
Specific responsibilities are subject to change as priorities and needs are modified, but the following summarizes the general scope of the position:
- Develop, execute, and oversee comprehensive omnichannel marketing programs to convert current non-paying print and online readers to subscribing members and membership retention programs, including member-only email newsletters, invitation-only special events and targeted direct mail and email messages
- Develop and manage marketing budget
- Own marketing content strategy including email, social media, and website messaging for defined target demographics
- Create and implement data-driven marketing strategies for the company's digital initiatives, including sales enablement, events and strategic partnerships
- Develop, execute, and analyze acquisition strategies to grow site traffic and newsletter sign ups, incl. Facebook/Instagram Ads.
- Develop marketing materials, email campaigns, newsletters, social media content to promote, cross-sell and upsell digital and print advertising to prospective advertisers and advertising clients
- Work cross-functionally with advertising, editorial, IT and design teams to continue expanding the company's social media reach and engagement
- Collaborate with technology partner to optimize online user experience including messaging, customer journey, A/B testing, ad development, and email newsletter design/functionality
- Create and present regular reports and analysis on KPIs, including subscriber conversion and retention, acquisition initiatives, advertising effectiveness and reader engagement
- Lead and manage four person marketing team
- Be the company evangelist for our digital future
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- Passion for local journalism and its importance in the community
- A successful track record in digital marketing, audience development and launching and growing digital products
- Data-driven marketing generalist who enjoys wearing multiple hats and has expertise in a wide range of marketing skills (digital, paid acquisition, search/SEO, email, social media, content strategy, traditional advertising, sales enablement, events, outreach)
- Expertise in digital publishing and audience metrics, social media and marketing automation
- Experience in creating successful event strategies and strategic sponsorships to build audience engagement, conversion, and retention
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at once efficiently and effectively, manage high-performing teams and work cross-functionally to achieve results quickly
- Excellent organization and attention to detail
- Experience supervising and managing people
- Familiarity with content strategy and editorial processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
To apply, submit a letter describing why this position is a good fit for your background and experience and a resume to CEO Bill Johnson.
Position open until filled.