Home & Real Estate Editor
The part-time Home & Real Estate Editor is responsible for the dynamic online and print coverage of home, garden and real estate news for the Palo Alto area. The ideal editor is passionate and knowledgeable about these topics and possesses the ability to find the local angle.
The Home & Real Estate Editor produces a wide range of content, both through his or her own reporting as well as by working with freelance writers. In addition to the weekly print/online Home & Real Estate section, the editor is in charge of special magazines: the quarterly Home & Garden Design, the semi-annual Real Estate special publication, and two annual Neighborhoods guides.
The position requires a sense of lively storytelling, visual creativity, digital savvy (including fluency in G Suite), superior organizational skills, high standards of quality and accuracy, and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Journalism experience is required.
The position is for 10 to 15 hours per week and directly reports to the associate editor. Compensation is dependent upon experience.
The specific duties of the editor are as follows:
- Every week
- Plan the Friday Home & Real Estate section content several weeks out.
- Write or assign/edit stories and photos/graphics, plus captions.
- Write the Home Front column, which covers local events and relevant news.
- Work with the gardening, real estate, home organization and other columnists; edit submitted columns.
- Format and prepare the listing of home sales and the home sales chart for publication in print and online.
- Gather, format and prep building permits for publication in print and online.
- Work with the design department to produce the Friday section.
- Upload the story, column, home sales data and building permits to the Palo Alto Online real estate web page at PaloAltoOnline.com/real_estate
- Respond to emails from the public, sources, etc., including story pitches, complaints and inquiries.
- As necessary, ensure coverage of breaking real estate news for publication online.
- Throughout the year
- Quarterly: Home & Garden Design magazine. Plan and assign five or six stories, plus photos (write a few of those yourself); obtain permission to publish contributed photos; edit freelance articles; work with design director/associate editor/advertising VP to choose the cover; write captions and related content, etc.; manage production.
- Semi-annually: Real Estate special section. Plan and assign five or six stories, plus photos (write a few of those); edit freelance articles; obtain permission to publish contributed photos; create informational graphics; work with designer director/associate editor/advertising VP to choose cover; write captions and related content; manage production.
- Annually: Palo Alto Neighborhoods and Our Neighborhoods Mountain View/Los Altos. Throughout the year, assign about 10 new neighborhood profiles, plus photos, for each publication (write a few yourself); verify that sources in remaining 20 profiles have not died; edit and update all fact boxes, including compiling home sales by neighborhood; collaborate with designer director/associate editor/advertising VP on the cover; manage production.
To apply for this position, send your resume, cover letter and several clips to Associate Editor Linda Taaffe at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.