The Peninsula's leading media company, Embarcadero Media, is seeking a hands-on, adaptable Marketing Assistant to join our growing marketing team. He/she works directly with the Marketing Director, taking on a variety of marketing and administrative tasks to support the growth, engagement and outreach of our award-winning print and digital news publications on the Peninsula and in the East Bay.
The Marketing Assistant will assist in developing and implementing strategies for engaging our loyal readers, increasing the number of subscribing members and connecting with diverse elements of the communities we serve. He/she supports our editorial mission by building the strongest possible links to community leaders, interest groups, neighborhood associations and networks, nonprofits and underserved communities.
This full-time benefit position is supervised by the Director of Marketing and Audience Development and is based in Palo Alto. Occasional night and weekend attendance at community meetings, events and receptions is required. The company is currently in a remote working mode, but a shift to a hybrid model is planned for early 2022.
The ideal candidate...
- Is an organized go-getter who can swiftly switch gears and wear multiple hats
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Has a natural, outgoing personality comfortable with public speaking and in engaging people in conversation in diverse settings as a representative of the company
- Is skilled at being efficient and detail-oriented
- Has outstanding customer service and problem-solving skills
- Is mature and unflappable; able to be a steady and calming presence under any circumstances
- Is tech-savvy and has strong computer and digital media skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Apps, and social media
- Can anticipate, plan and carry out tasks needed to complete projects or events with minimal direction
- Has experience working in Mailchimp
- Is a team player with a positive attitude
- Is conversationally fluent in Spanish
- Holds a deep desire to connect with our local communities
- Is passionate about the company's editorial mission and commitment to diversity
Specific responsibilities are subject to change as priorities and needs are modified, but the following summarizes the general scope of the position:
- Assist in the growth of our number of newsletter recipients, subscribing members and loyal readers
- Assist with writing and editing newsletters to readers and subscribing members
- Look for opportunities to use multiple company platforms and products, including The Six Fifty and Peninsula Foodist, to build traffic and reader engagement
- Organize at least one reader event each month that focuses on an important public issue, an interview with a well-known person in the community or a talk by an interesting special guest, with each event involving at least one member of our editorial team
- Help with planning and executing Embarcadero Media community programs and events, including short story and photo contests, Moonlight Run, Holiday Fund grant-making, Best Of Reader promotion, employee events, etc.
- Review and coordinate sponsorship requests from community organizations and requests for donated advertising space
- Research and establish connections with community organizations
- Represent the company at important community events and coordinate the company's staffing at events such as street fairs, chamber of commerce programs, etc.
- Support content development for social media channels, advertising clients and sales enablement
- Learn how to monitor and report on marketing campaign performance and analytics
- Help identify untapped opportunities for marketing and community outreach
- Assist with planning for and coordinating internal company events such as staff meetings, retreats, picnics, celebrations, receptions, holiday party, etc.
- Bachelor's degree, with a Marketing or Communication major preferred
To apply send a cover letter and resume to Emily Freeman.