Multimedia Visual Journalist
Our visual journalists are versatile photographers and videographers who create compelling stories with photos, video and audio. This full-time position will support the visual needs of the print, online and social media presence of the Mountain View Voice and The Almanac (serving Menlo Park, Portola Valley, Woodside and Atherton). These publications and their websites are part of Palo Alto-based Embarcadero Media, which also operates the Palo Alto Weekly, Palo Alto Online, Pleasanton Weekly, DanvilleSanRamon.com and The Six Fifty. Embarcadero is a 39-year-old independent and locally owned media company with a long track record of award-winning community journalism and innovation.
The position is based in the company's Palo Alto office, located in a three-story "green" building just three blocks from the California Avenue Caltrain station.
The visual journalist is supervised jointly by the editors of The Almanac and the Voice and works closely with his/her counterpart at the Palo Alto Weekly/Palo Alto Online.
Duties include the following:
- Shooting photographs and video in Mountain View, Menlo Park and nearby communities including general and breaking news, features, portraits, lifestyle/food and special projects on a daily basis for print, online and social media
- Initiating, shooting and editing video projects for both publications' websites with a strong emphasis on visual storytelling
- Generating and implementing ideas for stand-alone visual projects for which the visual journalist takes full responsibility for the story and presentation
- Pursuing and balancing short-term assignments with long-term projects
- Attending editorial staff meetings and story meetings to plan coverage and coordinate with reporters and editors
- Exporting and editing of photos and video -- including those shot by reporters and submitted by the public -- for use in print and on digital platforms including both the Voice and The Almanac's community websites, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram platforms.
- Maintaining well-organized digital photo archives
- Covering occasional night and weekend assignments
- Overseeing occasional visual journalism interns
Desired Qualifications & Skills
- A passion for storytelling
- Two years prior visual journalism experience
- Portfolio of prior photo and video work
- Outstanding core photojournalism skills (reporting, photography and videography)
- Strong commitment to photojournalism ethics as outlined by the National Press Photographers Association (https://nppa.org/code-ethics)
- Proficiency with photo and video editing software, including Photoshop, Lightroom, Photo Mechanic and Premiere
- Proficiency in Spanish
- Strong writing skills, including ability to write strong, accurate photo captions
- Understanding of and professional experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Experience with drone photography with FAA license
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking and collaboration skills
- Residency or strong familiarity with San Francisco Peninsula
- Ownership of appropriate camera gear
- Ownership of reliable vehicle, along with insurance coverage and good driving record
Apply with letter and resume to email@example.com. Position open until filled.