Embarcadero Media is seeking versatile bilingual journalists to serve as editor and reporter (two different positions) of a local news website launching this summer on the San Francisco Peninsula.
We are implementing a reader-supported all-digital model that combines traditional news coverage with in-depth enterprise reporting and a focus on actively listening to and engaging readers online and through events and forums. Our goal is to give voice to the issues and challenges facing diverse segments of the community and to be a catalyst for greater civic engagement. We are particularly focused on those who have been underserved by traditional media and other institutions.
You will work with our award-winning Peninsula editorial team that currently publishes the Palo Alto Weekly and The Almanac, three community websites (Palo Alto Online, Mountain View Online and The Almanac Online) and two specialty lifestyle digital newsletters (The Six Fifty and Peninsula Foodist.) The editor and reporter will work with our community engagement manager and marketing team to launch a website and digital newsletters that meet reader needs, from deadline coverage of breaking news to beautifully crafted feature writing. We are creating the news organization of the future, one dedicated to digital journalism innovation and building a loyal, engaged and diverse audience. As we build reader trust through the quality and seriousness of our journalism, we will inspire residents to take actions to improve their community.
For those ready to embrace change and innovation in local journalism, including use of text, audio and video formats, events and social media, this is a unique opportunity to be a part of creating a successful new model.
Here's what we hope you will bring to this endeavor:
- Passion for modern digital journalism and the role and importance of local journalism as a means to community betterment
- Experience in reporting on underserved communities
- Minimum five years of experience as an editor, reporter or freelancer
- Published work demonstrating careful reporting and well-crafted stories on diverse people and issues affecting the community
- Knowledge of the San Francisco Peninsula; ideally from having grown up in the region
- Demonstrated experience with deadline reporting and writing
- Fluency in Spanish
- Interest and experience in digital journalism, including through email newsletters, social media, podcasts, video storytelling and other multi-media innovations
- Comfort with public speaking and engaging with readers online, in virtual forums and at in-person events
- Ability to write with a voice, so readers understand who you are
- Photography and/or videographer skills
- An excellent self-starter, idea-generator and collaborator
- Intuitive and curious
- Organized and skilled at juggling multiple tasks
- A great story-teller
- Active on social media
- Comfortable learning new technology
- A fun and engaging person to be around
To apply, send resume, cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate and three writing samples to Bill Johnson, CEO, Embarcadero Media.