Embarcadero Media seeks a versatile, digital-first news reporter based in the Bay Area with solid reporting, newsgathering and writing skills and good instincts about what makes a story compelling. Reporting for Embarcadero's newest site, the Redwood City Pulse, the ideal candidate has the ability to work under tight deadlines and the desire to engage readers through multiple forms of storytelling, including email newsletters, social media, podcasts, videos and other forms of multimedia.
The journalist's work should reflect the vitality of the Redwood City community by covering the people, organizations, culture and government that impact residents. It will be important for the reporter to develop a broad range of sources and pitch story ideas that will resonate with our community members. The journalist will need to be organized and able to tackle fast-paced daily stories and longer, well-sourced enterprise stories that may require a bit more digging.
This journalist will work with Embarcadero Media's award-winning Peninsula editorial team that currently publishes the Palo Alto Weekly and The Almanac newspapers, three community websites (Palo Alto Online, Mountain View Online and The Almanac Online) and two specialty lifestyle digital newsletters (The Six Fifty and Peninsula Foodist.) You will work with our editor, our community engagement manager and our marketing team.
The Redwood City Pulse is a reader-supported all-digital model that combines traditional news coverage with in-depth enterprise reporting and focuses on actively listening to and engaging readers online and through events and forums. Our goal is to give voice to the issues and challenges facing diverse segments of the community and to be a catalyst for greater civic engagement. We are mainly focused on those who have been underserved by traditional media and other institutions.
For a skilled reporter who is ready to embrace change and innovation in local journalism, including the use of text, audio, and video formats, events, and social media, this is a unique opportunity to be a part of creating a successful new model.
Pay Range: $24 — $27/hour / Full-Time / Hybrid Schedule
- Passion for modern digital journalism
- Excitement and ideas for serving a diverse community
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or a minimum of three years of experience as an editor, reporter or freelancer
- Strong copy-editing skills and knowledge of AP Style
- Knowledge of the San Francisco Peninsula, ideally from having grown up in the region
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience using Chartbeat and Google Analytics
- Comfort with public speaking and engaging with readers online, in virtual forums and at in-person events
- Ability to write with a voice, so readers understand who you are
- Photography and videography skills
- An excellent self-starter, idea-generator and collaborator
- Intuitive and curious
- Organized and skilled at juggling multiple tasks
- A great storyteller
- Active on social media
- Comfortable learning new technology
- A fun and engaging person to be around
To apply, send a resume, a cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate, and three recent writing samples to Michelle Iracheta.