Our staff visual journalist is a crackerjack photographer who has a passion for news and the ability to produce high-quality work quickly each day. This full-time, benefited position will support the photo and video needs of the print, online and social media presences of the Palo Alto Weekly, Mountain View Voice and The Almanac (serving Menlo Park, Portola Valley, Woodside and Atherton). These publications and their websites are part of Palo Alto-based Embarcadero Media, which also operates the Pleasanton Weekly, DanvilleSanRamon.com and The Six Fifty. Embarcadero is a 40-year-old independent and locally owned media company with a long track record of award-winning community journalism and innovation.
The position is based in the company's Palo Alto office, located in a three-story "green" building just three blocks from the California Avenue Caltrain station.
The visual journalist is supervised by the Chief Visual Journalist for Embarcadero Media.
Duties include the following:
• Shooting photographs and video in Palo Alto, Mountain View, Menlo Park and nearby communities including general and breaking news, features, portraits, lifestyle/food and special projects on a daily basis for print, online and social media
• Exporting and editing of photos and video -- including those shot by reporters and submitted by the public -- for use in print and on the three websites, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram platforms. Writing accurate and effective captions for print and, separately, for social media.
• Working in close collaboration with the Chief Visual Journalist to coordinate the execution of all assignments and ensure the timely filing of all work.
• Attending editorial staff meetings and story meetings, as assigned by the Chief Visual Journalist, to plan coverage and coordinate with reporters and editors
• As assigned, working on video projects including the weekly webcast "Behind the Headlines" and video recordings and live-streaming of community events.
• Covering occasional night and weekend assignments
• Responding to public requests, as assigned by the Chief Visual Journalist
• Assisting with the supervision of visual journalism interns
• Contributing to the maintenance of well-organized digital photo archives
Desired Qualifications & Skills
• A passion for storytelling
• Two years prior visual journalism experience
• Portfolio of prior photo and video work
• Outstanding core photojournalism skills (reporting, photography and videography)
• Strong commitment to photojournalism ethics as outlined by the National Press Photographers Association (https://nppa.org/code-ethics)
• Proficiency with photo and video editing software, including Photoshop, Lightroom, Photo Mechanic and Premiere. Experience with Adobe After Effects would be a plus.
• Outstanding organizational and communication skills.
• Strong writing skills, including ability to write strong, accurate photo captions
• Understanding of and professional experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
• Excellent organizational, multi-tasking and collaboration skills
• Residency or strong familiarity with San Francisco Peninsula
• Bilingual ability would be a plus.
• Ownership of appropriate camera gear
• Ownership of reliable vehicle, along with insurance coverage and good driving record
Apply by sending a cover letter, resume and link to your portfolio to Editor Jocelyn Dong at jdong(at)paweekly.com and Chief Visual Journalist Magali Gauthier at mgauthier(at)paweekly.com. Position open until filled. No phone calls, please.